Friday, August 14, 2009

Spinach & Tomato Penne in Balsamic Butter Sauce


Who knew that Balsamic Vinegar and Butter pair so superbly?

I did. Obviously.

This recipe happened by accident one night, when the only substantial food in my cupboard was a box of pasta (big surprise there). There was also some seriously depressed-looking spinach and half a container of cherry tomatoes in the fridge.

As I was chopping tomatoes and boiling pasta water, I found myself in a state of indecision. What sauce did I want on this impromptu pasta dish? Olive oil wasn't going to cut it alone and balsamic with the olive oil was too salad-y. No, I needed some fat.

That's when I had the brilliant (brilliant, I swear!) idea to melt some butter with a bit of balsamic vinegar. This combination preserved the lightness of the dish while simultaneously tricking me into thinking I was splurging on eating something extra creamy and gooey and yummy. Sometimes, you just want "bad" food. I know you all know the feeling.

To make the Balsamic Butter Sauce, you need three ingredients: Balsamic vinegar (1/2 cup), unsalted butter (1/3 stick) and milk (about 2 Tbs). In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and then pour in balsamic vinegar and milk. Stir slowly until mixture thickens slightly and turns medium golden brown. Pour over pasta with veggies and enjoy immediately!

1 comment:

  1. I love how simple this sauce is! I'll definitely give it a try the next time I'm low on ingredients and craving pasta.

    And we have all had those nights where we're like "Eh, what the hell, these 3 things will probably taste okay together..." and then those are usually some of our tastiest creations!

    ReplyDelete