Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Homeade Lemonade


Let me proclaim the following: I will never again drink store bought lemonade. Well, never is a strong word, but that's how excited I am about my insanely delicious, freshly squeezed, homeade lemonade.

I found myself with a jumbo bag of lemons after Whole Foods put them on sale (8 huge lemons for $2?? Sweet, man!) When I arrived back at my apartment, I was hot and sticky from the June humidity. All I wanted was something cold to drink. That's when I had the brilliant idea to make myself some lemonade and simultaneously use up half of my jumbo bag of lemons! And boy, let me tell you. It absolutely hit the spot.

To make two glasses of lemonade, you need:

1 large lemon, cut into quarters
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups water
ice

Using your hands, squeeze half a lemon into each glass. Drop each quartered piece into the glass when the squeezing is complete. Add one tablespoon of sugar* and an ice cube or two to each glass, then fill with water. Stir rigorously. Enjoy!

*The amount of sugar can be increased or decreased according to personal preference. I found that one spoonful worked well when using half of a lemon in a full glass of water.

2 comments:

  1. My cousin gave me this trick for lemonade. make your own simple syrup to add to the lemon juice. This makes sure that all the sugar is actually disovled perfectly evenly.

    search for simple syrup/lemonade. might want to try it to take your homemage beverage to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I have indeed heard of simple syrup but for reasons unbeknownst to me, I like tasting a little crunchy sugar crystal, especially at the end of my drink. But thank you, Bri :)

    ReplyDelete