Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Egg in the Hole (Or How Not to be a Snob)


I am not a fan of fussy food (at least at this stage of my culinary development). I knew a guy in college who once uttered the following on a Wednesday afternoon in the student lounge: "I am going to the party of all parties tonight on the Upper East Side. Cristal to drink and privilege food, you know?"

No, I didn't know. According to him, "privilege food" equated to caviar, pate...that whole deal.

Fish egg gunk? No thank you. Clearly, I had "not yet developed a sophisticated taste palette" (His words again). Sidebar: the two of us had a tendency to engage in heated debates with one another in political science class...who woulda thunk?!

Anyway, as I was saying, I do not particularly enjoy snobbery in people or in food. What I do enjoy, is good food. Good is a very relative term and I am aware of this. And tonight, for me, good equated to a childhood favorite called "Egg in the Whole."

Egg in the Hole is exactly what it sounds like. You crack an egg into a piece of bread with a center hole cut out of it, and fry it up in a pan. That's it. That's the whole recipe.

I know, I know, it's really difficult to make. You'll slave for hours over this one. Oh, and did I mention how expensive the ingredients are? Just look how elegant it is...so worthy of being served at an upper echelon society party ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Egg in the Hole is still one of my favorite breakfasts, but we called it "Toad in the Hole" growing up...not that that really makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, in the past two days, four different people have told me how they love egg in the hole too but called it something slightly different growing up. Thanks, though...your blog is incredible as well! Amazing photography (and food!)

    ReplyDelete