Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars


Holy Moly! Platter has been licked clean, my friends.

If you are like me and stock up on things when they go on sale (4 quarts of blueberries for $5! ), then this recipe is for you. Actually, only if you stocked up on, well, blueberries. If you do not happen to have blueberries in your refrigerator, then drop whatever it is you are doing at the moment, go to your local farmer's market or grocery store and buy a few containers worth, because these crumb bars are to die for.

And look at how pretty they are. I think fresh blueberries are just the loveliest shade of blue, and when heated, the most succulent shade of purple. They beg to be savored. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmmmmm.

Okay, so clearly I have obsession issues. But, hey! Don't judge. You will too after you make this recipe. (I found the original recipe on smittenkitchen.com, but tweaked a few things to make it my own).

To make Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars, you need:

-1 cup white sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-1 cup (2 sticks) butter
-1 egg
-1/4 tsp salt
-The zest and juice of one lemon
-4 cups fresh blueberries
-1/2 cup white sugar
-4 tsp cornstarch
-1 Tbsp dark brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 (or similar-sized) baking pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the baking powder, flour and first cup of sugar. Add in the salt and lemon zest (but not the juice). Crack in the egg and add butter. (I found it worked best to cut the butter into chunks, mash it with a fork and then roll up my sleeves and get down and dirty with the batter). Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Dough will be crumbly. Spread a layer of dough into the baking pan, about 1/2 inch thick.

In a different bowl, stir together the cornstarch, 1/2 cup sugar and the juice of one lemon. This will make a sugary syrup-like substance. Pour in the fresh blueberries and mix so blueberries are coated with syrup. Do not mash. Pour the blueberry mixture over the dough in the pan. Then, layer the rest of the dough on top of the blueberry layer (you do not need to fully cover the blueberries and definitely don't need a full 1/2 inch-thick layer of dough on top. This layer should be more crumbly, and not patted down. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top and bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and let cool completely in the refrigerator. The bars cut better after being fully chilled.

Now, for the best part:

Open mouth.
Consume.
Delight in seeing blueberry-stained lips, teeth and tongue.
Yea!

4 comments:

  1. oh my GOODNESS - I have a very good idea of what all my CSA blueberries are going towards...and its THIS!!! looks heavenly, as usual. xoxoxo - sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also love your new header - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! (I swear, I don't know if I'll ever be happy with the color/layout/whatever of this blog. I know, I know...should be worrying about more important things, right!?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my favorite so far!!

    ReplyDelete