Thursday, July 2, 2009

Strawberry Banana Smoothie


I am under house arrest due to the removal of my wisdom teeth yesterday. Knowing that I would be confined to my apartment for at least three days, I went on a bit of a shopping spree in the kitchen department of Bed, Bath & Beyond earlier this week. Item of top priority? A blender. When I left, my cart was filled with a top-of-the-line CuisineArt blender along with about five other appliances/kitchen gadgets. What can I say? Now that I've started this food endeavor, I am unable to resist!

Anyway, aside from looking like a part of the chipmunk brood, I'm feeling pretty good, all things considering. In fact, my mouth pain is so minimal that I am suffering more from cabin fever than anything else. But, I would probably scare a young child if I ventured out of my apartment, so I shall remain here until the swelling reduces.

I am unable to eat solids and therefore unwilling to cook them at the moment (too much temptation). The fresh fruits I bought last week are starting to look a little depressed and I knew I had to either use them up or throw them out. Perfect opportunity to break in my new blender with a simple strawberry banana smoothie.

There are a lot of smoothie recipes out there and usually, I am someone who would just put in some fruit with some ice and call it a day. Well, when you're "sick" and barely consuming anything else, it's more fun (and satisfying!) to add some creamy goodness to the fruit. That's what I did and if you have two minutes and a blender, you should too!

To make the smoothie, you need:

-6-8 large, ripe strawberries (I sliced mine)
-1 peeled banana
-1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
-1/2 cup low fat milk

(The above ingredients will make a smoothie to fill 1 large glass).

Dump ingredients into blender, press "blend," and mix until all ingredients are smoothly blended (about 20-30 seconds). Pour into cold glass and enjoy immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment